Thursday 18 August 2011

Ode to my 20's

I had my first episode of Optic Neuritis when I was 21, even though I was not diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis until I was 28. I do not know if I am the odd man out, but I was thrilled to finally be diagnosed. For seven years, I held the belief that I was just a lazy hypochondriac. But it wasn't all in my head, it was my head. It defined so much of my 20's without me even knowing for sure it was there, that this belongs with the rest of writing. I wrote this on the eve of my 30th birthday.

Ode to my 20’s

With you I graduated from college and I finally started learning.

With you I have changed my name and I changed my life.

Together we watched two wars begin and worried as loved ones went off to fight.

Together we watched my hopes and dreams shift to something brighter than I could have ever imagined.

You helped me find friends for life and friends that I will remember for a lifetime.

You helped me no longer worry about my weight; but the weight of my words.

We have seen some of the world, watched as it shrank and we began to dream of seeing more.

I have had a living thing depend on me for everything. She may have four legs but she will always be my first baby.

I have felt true loss; only to realize that it helped me become truly found.

You cured my fear of flying by making me live overseas for five years.

You cured my fear of needles by making me give myself a shot every other day.

You brought me sickness; but more importantly you brought me answers.

You brought me heartbreak; but more importantly you brought me someone to steal my heart.

So my dear sweet 20’s the time has come for us to part; as we have grown together and grown apart. It is time for you find that new special someone out there to take on this wild ride; but please think of me as fondly as I will think of you. So thank you, for I would not be the person I am today without you…

No comments:

Post a Comment